Monday, May 14, 2007

wake up call

i was not quite awake yet this morning at around 6 am when our five-year old roque poked me and blurted this out, "how does a baby come out of a mommy's tummy?"

"what?!" that question woke me up real quickly, more successfully than an alarm clock would.

"i said, how does a baby come out of a mommy's tummy?" he repeated.

"uh..... um....." i wasn't quite sure how to answer that. and i didn't want to wake up gary just so he could help me out on this. i figured, what the heck, if he was ready to ask me that question, he was probably ready to hear the answer. anyways, since early this year, he didn't want to take a bath with me anymore. the last time we did, his back was turned to me and his head bent as he looked down on the bathroom floor the whole time. he made sure he would not see my naked body which to him was probably such an embarrassing sight. so here goes...

"you came out of my tummy when the doctor opened me up here," pointing to my bikini scar. "then he had to sew it up so it would close."

"ya, i know that. i learned that from higgly town heroes on playhouse disney. is there another way?"

"well ya, uh..... um....." so i decided to plunge right through, "the baby can also come out through the pipi." hoping he would understand that and not ask me about the gory details.

"what?!! eeeeowww!! his eyes almost as big as his mouth opened wide.

yup, he got that alright.

8 Comments:

Blogger barbiegirl said...

hahaha! pipi?! how ironic that the doctor didn't use the correct anatomical term :)

better be ready when he asks HOW the baby gets inside the tummy in the first place. that should be a good one.

Monday, 14 May, 2007  
Blogger DV said...

Could've been a PowerPoint moment there, with full charts about DNA and blastocysts and all that. Sayang! Ha, ha.

Monday, 14 May, 2007  
Blogger freckle-face said...

barbiegirl,
gary told me i should've used the "v" word... but then if i did, he probably would ask me more. i felt exactly the same (totally unprepared) when arianna, at 6 yrs, asked me "what's sex?". completely unexpected and i was uh-um-uh-ing for awhile, hoping that gary who was wide-awake and driving would help me, but he didn't!! but that's another wild blog. next time.

Tuesday, 15 May, 2007  
Blogger freckle-face said...

dv,
yup... it would have been. i probably should prepare one na... as barbiegirl warned me to be ready to answer how the baby got there in the first place. whew!

Tuesday, 15 May, 2007  
Blogger mama_aly said...

there's a trend i noticed about your posts on roque.... topics range from panties to love to babies to pipis....eowwwww!!!

Tuesday, 15 May, 2007  
Blogger freckle-face said...

aly,
hahaha... so much for progressive schooling, huh???!!

Tuesday, 15 May, 2007  
Blogger barbiegirl said...

maybe next time roque has one of these questions, you could reply, "go ask dad." :)

Wednesday, 16 May, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa!

This post made me laugh out loud (sorry nalang si Geoff na tulog). Enjoyed everyone's comments too.

Thought we non-doctors would have a HARDER TIME with these birds and the bees stuff....

Sunday, 20 May, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home