Monday, September 10, 2007

four eyes

it was as if my eyes knew i turned forty. suddenly, it was difficult reading the finest of fine print. i had to put the material at arm's length from my eyes so the words would be clearer. later, even the letters on my celfone got blurry. and still much later, some signs which my husband could read clearly with his glasses, i couldn't read anymore unless i squint a bit.

my husband, who's an ophthalmologist, said to wait a little longer before i use reading glasses. why he said that, i really don't know. he said something like if it's not thaaaat difficult for me to read, not to use reading glasses yet because once i do, it will be progressively difficult to be without them.

as everybody knows, reading glasses or no reading glasses, the vision deteriorates anyway. of course mine was no different. and so finally after two years of intermittently complaining -- talk about being on his patients' waiting list -- my husband got down to refracting my eyes.

choosing the frame is another story. for my small face, it was extremely hard to find a frame that fits. they were either too wide, or generally too big. i was sort of in between pediatric specs and adult specs. but, after going through numerous stores to try out countless frames, voila! here it is...my husband thinks it's funky. my daughter thinks it's cool. my son thinks it makes me look like his classmate's mom... say what!???! the guys at work say it makes me look younger. well, i'm just happy it's comfy and i don't look too goofy with it.......... or do i?

2 Comments:

Blogger mama_aly said...

you look very fashionable, sister. as fo me, after years of fighting it i think i'll have to embrace progressive lenses. it's becoming harder and harder to keep up with two sets of glasses --- reading, distance, and in between. ah, the travails of getting old.

Friday, 21 September, 2007  
Blogger MegaMom said...

FF, my own husband refused to do Lasik on me claiming that I'll be needing reading glasses soon anyway. What is it with our eye-doctor husbands?!? :)

Tuesday, 09 October, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home